Saturday, August 27, 2011

Waiting Out Irene

{lunch today}
Husband and I just got back from a three-day getaway in Vermont to celebrate our fifteen wedding anniversary. We had the most marvelous time! Husband's parents graciously took the kids, and right now I'm waiting while he picks them up.  I've made a quick meal of what we brought home from Vermont - blueberries, bread, goat cheese, veggies... We ate lunch like this the whole trip - just stopping at roadside stands and general stores and grabbing what looked tasty.

{paying by the honor system, roadside in Putney, Vermont}
Hurricane Irene's heading our way and we'll feel the effects tonight.  How lucky we were to have good weather for our anniversary trip! In the Albany, N.Y. area we are on a Tropical Storm warning, and don't expect to get hit as hard as the areas to our south and east. I'm thinking of of those who are in a more dangerous path of this storm and my thoughts go out for a safe weekend to all.

Loretta

6 comments:

  1. I will certainly keep you all in my thoughts as well as the rest of our East coast friends. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s the best way to eat straight from the earth! We won’t be doing that today since we’re getting absolutely hammered by Irene but at least we’re high and dry. I’m glad you had such a nice Anniversary and wishing you many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Your lunch looks delicious. Glad you had nice weather for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks and sounds like you all had an awesome anniversary trip!! I hope all is well with you all and that the storm didn't do any damage in your area!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you could get away. Happy Anniversary full of exercise and good food. I heard the Hurricane was not as bad as expected?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little update: Irene was downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm here in Albany, but it was the water that packed a punch. Part of our basement had water coming in, and the creek behind the house rose really high!

    The Catskills and Vermont got much more rain - roads and bridges destroyed, house and businesses flooded.

    We got out of Vermont just in time. I've been looking up on google the towns we were to see the damage and it's just terrible. The restaurants we ate at in Brattleboro - flooded. The little country store we bought the delicious bread pictured in this post? Flooded. So sad.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? I'm so happy to hear from YOU!