Monday, January 24, 2011

Shall I ETSY and WordPress and sell online?

November 2012 UPDATE: The etsy shop is now open (with just one item to start, but more coming soon!): www.etsy.com/shop/LorettaFontaineLtd

Who out there is selling online? This girl is looking for ADVICE!
{sterling silver Meredith necklace with Stuyvesant Fern, freshwater pearls, faceted iolite and blue topaz}
I've owned my business, Loretta Fontaine Jewelry, for over ten years now and have sold my artisan handcrafted sterling silver jewelry with miniature original photography at national trade shows to over sixty fine shops and galleries across the country (even Alaska!)

My work has been featured on ABC, InStyle.com, National Jeweler , NICHE, Lapidary Journal and Modern Jeweler and seven books on jewelry, the latest being Lark Book's 500 Gemstone Jewels: A Sparking Collection of Dazzling Designs.

I have a feeling it's time to start selling my work from my website, and maybe Etsy? I'm doing more and more custom work and it would be a lot of fun to directly connect with my clients.

If you have an Etsy shop or are an Etsy shopper, and have some good advice, leave it in a comment for me below. (Add some links to your favorite Etsy shops, too!)

I'm thinking of designing a new, sleeker website with Wordpress and feature a little online store. Anyone selling from your website? Again, leave some advice with your comments!

A big thanks in advance to all! (I'm hoping for a big virtual push here.)

Loretta

November 2012 UPDATE: The etsy shop is now open (with just one item to start, but more coming soon!): www.etsy.com/shop/LorettaFontaineLtd

12 comments:

  1. I'd say Etsy for sure and when you do, let me know as I'll share it on FB for sure! Your jewelry is lovely! And as for favorite links to etsy...I can't narrow down the amount that I love! Good Luck! xx Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just asked all the same questions I am asking myself. Decisions, decisions...
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by the blog! Stay tuned in for Friday as we announce the winner of the Lowe's giveaway!
    Xo,
    E&J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should sell on Etsy...it seems people love shoping Esty and that your line would do well! Go for it! If you are looking for someone to re-design your blog...I highly recommend Little Blue Deer (blog)...she did mine and lots of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm off to check out the Little Blue Deer blog now!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an etsy shopper. I love Etsy. The only think I would worry about would be getting lost in the vast sea of sellers. You can always try it and see if you like it, nothing to lose really.

    Shari from Little Blue Deer designed my blog for me and I could not be happier. She is wonderful and I highly recommend her.

    Best of luck!
    Amy R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Loretta!
    I definitely think that having an online store would be a great idea. It's certainly the way things are now, and would open up the possibility for more customers farther afield. I know when I get compliments on your jewelry that I wear it would be great to be able to direct people to your website where they could purchase things!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carrie! - Your comments made my day. I will be waiting to see your creative work online someday soon, too!

    Will you be reading Kari Chaplin's book The Handmade Marketplace? I'll be getting my hands on a copy, soon.

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loretta, your jewelry is beautiful and unique and I think your blog visitors would enjoy being able to stop by and make a convenient purchase while they visit.

    Sometimes when I need to buy something I'm forced to go a department store because it's convenient. The only problem is that whatever I buy there will most likely not feel very unique. With an online store you can give your clients the best of both worlds.

    In a nutshell I say go for it!

    PS Congratulations on the impressive distribution!! I have much to learn from you : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veronica- Thanks for the push! But knowing about your awesome website, I think I have much more to learn from YOU!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello there - I shop on esty and find it a fine experience. I also shop on individual websites but I think you'd need to spend a bit more on marketing - but there are heaps of cheap opportunities for this in the blogging world ...go have a look at lisa lennard designs and see how she does it - best le xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a stunning necklace. I really can't answer your questions on either subject but I do believe you can reach a heck of a lot of people selling online!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? I'm so happy to hear from YOU!